Šibenik, town and harbor is industrial, traffic and tourist resort in the area. Šibenik is situated by the estuary of river Krka to the sea (bay Šibenik). Šibenik lies at the intersection of the main roads Zadar - Šibenik - Split and Šibenik - Drnis - Knin; the railroad over Perkovic connects Šibenik with the railroad Zagreb - Knin - Split. Access to the harbour is through 11-30m deep channel St. Ante. Around are hotels, apartments and the campgrounds. Šibenik has a especial position between Croatians’s town, thanks a great position and amazing bay. It was the old Croatian village under the fort of St. Mihovil, which under the name St. Anna is still domination of the town. The historic information allude Šibenik as Castrum Sebenici in the year 1006, when the Croatian king Petar Kesimir IV visited town. The middle Ages village with the narrow streets was unreeled under the fort St. Anna. From the beginning was the Šibenik important in the fights between in the Byzantine Empire and the Republic of Venice. On the end of 1st war, in the year 1918 became Šibenik part of Jugoslavie. The town is protecting from the land with the fort of St. Ana, St. Ivan and Subicevac and from the sea by the fort St. Nikola. Each fort is really architectonic jewel. Besides the forts has a Šibenik a lot of cultural and historical memories: Palace Foscolo (15th century), town house (16th century), couple of churches from the 14th century to 20th century. The biggest and the most important is the cathedral of St. Jakov, built between years 1431 – 1536. Cathedral was built from stones and stone board, without using the additional material. With the combination with the town hall, near churches and the Palace of Princes made to the most beautiful square in Croatian. Around Šibenik are pretty small villages and natural places, mainly National park Krka and islands of Kornati.
Photo Gallery - click on image to increase